Winter Storm Safety
It's that time of year again when cold temperatures mixed with freezing rain, sleet, ice or lake-effect snow can create hazardous conditions, both on the road and at home.
Here are some tips for keeping you, your family and your property safe during wintertime storms:
- In the case of a winter storm or blizzard WARNING stay home and off the roads.
- Stock up on enough supplies to last 3-5 days including bottled water, non-perishable foods, baby formula and diapers, pet food, etc.
- Bring your pets inside!
- Use portable generators in well-ventilated areas OUTDOORS and away from all windows, doors, and vents.
- If using an alternative heat source such as fireplace, woodstove, or space heater, make sure to have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors as well as a multipurpose dry chemical fire extinguisher close by.
- Use surge protectors whenever possible and remember that power strips are NOT the same thing!!
- If you must go outside, dress for the temperatures with lots of layers.
- ALWAYS assume that any downed power line is hot and active. If you see a downed power line call 911 and do not approach it! Keep children and pets away!